from Abrams Books:
Once upon a time, there were two sisters who rescued each other.
When things go bad at home, sisters Eleanor and Mike hide in a secret place under Eleanor’s bed, telling monster stories. Often, it seems those stories and their mother’s house magic are all that keep them safe from both busybodies and their dad’s temper. But when their father breaks a family heirloom, a glass witch ball, a river suddenly appears beneath the bed, and Eleanor and Mike fall into a world where dreams are born, nightmares struggle to break into the real world, and secrets have big consequences. Full of both adventure and heart, Riverland is a story about the bond between two sisters and how they must make their own magic to protect each other and save the ones they love.
+ Novel TBA (Abrams Books)
from Tor Books:
- The Bone Universe trilogy:
- Updraft- Winner of the Andre Norton & Compton Crook Awards, Nebula Nominee
- Cloudbound – Locus Reading List
- Horizon – Locus Award Nominee
- The Fire Opal Mechanism (2019)
- The Book of Gems (tba)
Both are set in the same world as The Jewel and Her Lapidary (Tor.com Publishing, 2016) and the short story “The Topaz Marquise” (Beneath Ceaseless Skies). Two Gemworld Novellas from Tor.com
Novelettes & Serials
“The Jewel and Her Lapidary,” Tor.com (May 2016)
Buried beneath the layers of a traveler’s guide is a hidden history: two kingdoms, powerful gems, and the even more powerful Lapidarys who bind them. Lin and Sima, caught in a web of intrigue and deceit, must find a way to escape the traps set by the past and save their kingdom. An epic fantasy, in miniature. 2016 Nebula Nominee, Best Novelette, 2017 Hugo Finalist, Best Novelette, 2017 Locus Awards Finalist, Best Novelette, An LA Public Library 2016 Best Book of 2016
The Witch Who Came in From the Cold, Serial Box – S2 guest (Talisman) 2016
The Cold War gets magical when spies brush shoulders with sorcerers in this genre-defying serial created by Lindsay Smith and Max Gladstone.
Ninth Step Station, Serial Box, S1 (January 2019)
Years of disaster and conflict have left Tokyo split between great powers.
In the city of drone-enforced borders, bodymod black markets, and desperate resistance movements, US peacekeeper Emma Higashi is assigned to partner with Tokyo Metropolitan Police Detective Miyako Koreda. Together, they must race to solve a series of murders that test their relationship and threaten to overturn the balance of global power. And amid the chaos, they each need to decide what they are willing to do for peace. by Malka Older, Fran Wilde, Curtis Chen, and Jacqueline Koyanagi.
“Disconnect,“ Disabled People Destroy Science Fiction, October 4, 2018
Even in her dreams, Izze always felt pulled in too many directions.
“That’s part of your problem,” Severin said when she called him while drinking the morning’s first cup of coffee. “You sleep wrong.” His voice sounded far away, pinned beneath a screen.
- “Twice the Same River” Futurescapes Vol. 2 TBA
- “An Explorer’s Cartography of Already-Settled Lands,” Tor.com TBA
- “The Fall of the Bank of Usher,” His Hideous Heart, September 2019
- “A Catalog of Storms,” Uncanny Magazine issue 26, January 2019 (short story & podcast) The wind’s moving fast again. The weathermen lean into it, letting it wear away at them until they turn to rain and cloud.
- “Choose Wisely,” Fireside Magazine, December, 2018
- “Ruby, Singing,” Beneath Ceaseless Skies, September 24, 2018
- “The Synchronist” Infinity’s End, Jonathan Strahan, Ed. June 2018
- Reprint: “The 10,000th Cycle” – Future Magazine, Spring 2018
- Reprint: “Only Their Shining Beauty Was Left,” 2017 Year’s Best Dark Fantasy & Horror
- Reprint: “The Jewel and Her Lapidary,” Nebula Showcase 2018
“A Recipe For Magic” B&N Blog, November 2017“… The sugar magic smelled like blueberries, cast so that when the petals of the iris were broken, each would sing a line of verse. She placed the flower with the others, in a garden of white icing.”
- “Regarding Your Future with the Futures Planning Consortium,” with Raq Winchester, Fireside Fiction April 2017
- “Happenstance,” Futurescapes: Cities of Empowerment Anthology 2017
- Serial Box: The Witch Who Came in From The Cold, guest episode 6
- “Death And My Mentions,” The Death of All Things Anthology, 2017
- “Only Their Shining Beauty Was Left” ~ Shimmer ~ September 2016 (2016 YEAR’S BEST DARK FANTASY & HORROR | 2016 LOCUS RECOMMENDED READING LIST | WSFA Small Press Award Finalist)
- Reprint: “A Moment of Gravity Circumscribed,” A Bone Universe short story. ~ Lightspeed ~ October 2016
- “The Thousandth Cycle” Eclipse Phase: After the Fall ( January 2016 epub, March)
- “Bent the Wing, Dark the Cloud,” Beneath Ceaseless Skies (September 3, 2015)
- “You are Two Point Three Meters from Your Destination,”Uncanny: A Magazine of Science Fiction and Fantasy (Issue Three, Spring 2015)
- “With Regrets, the Official Report of the Ballot Incident at the Academy Scientific,”(another installment of The Naturalist Cycle) Lakeside Circus (Year Two, Issue One)
- “The Topaz Marquis,” (reprint) Apex (February 2015)
- “A Moment of Gravity, Circumscribed,” (reprint)THIRTEEN (March 20 2015)
- “How to Walk through Historic Graveyards in the Digital Age,” Asimov’s Science Fiction(April/May 2015) [Read online here]
- “Welcome Briefing At The Obayashi-Ragan Youth Hostel” Abyss & Apex (October)
- “Like a Wasp to the Tongue,” Asimov’s Science Fiction ~ April/May
- “Nine Dishes on the Cusp of Love,” Daily Science Fiction (June 3)
- “Local Delicacies,” Drabblecast (June 15), narrated by Lauren Synger
- “The Topaz Marquise,” Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Issue 152
- “A Moment of Gravity, Circumscribed,” Impossible Futures Anthology
- “How to Feed Your Pyrokinetic Toddler,” UFO 2 ~ October 2013
- “Without,” Nature ~ September 2012
- “Everyone Loves a Hero,” Daily Science Fiction ~ November 2011
- “Everlasting,” Daily Science Fiction ~ September 2011
- “When Fog Rolls In,” Fireside TBA
- “While You Wait,” Resist. October 2018
- “The Sea Never Says it Loves You,” Uncanny Magazine, March 2018
- “Theft,” Who Will Speak for America, (Temple University Press, April 2018)
- “The Ghost Tide Chantey” Tor.com for National Poetry Month (April 8, 2015)
- “Hospitale Degli Innocenti,” The Marlboro Review, Vol. 3
- “Night Watch,” Poetry Baltimore, WordHouse Press. 1997