Winner of the 2015 Andre Norton Award for Best Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy
Nominated for the 2015 Nebula Award for Best Novel
Winner of the Compton Crook Award
Named one of the Very Best of Science Fiction and Fantasy Books of 2015 by iO9.com
A city of living bone rises high above the clouds, its past lost to legend. Danger hides in the wind. Laws have been broken. A great secret must be exposed.
- A Publishers’ Weekly Fall 2015 SF Fantasy & Horror Top 10 Book
- Library Journal Debut of the Month
“… The world itself is as much a character as any of the individuals within its pages, and in the grand tradition of science fiction and fantasy, the main character’s growth and struggles are bound up with learning more about the world. … I galloped through it to find out what came next…. WithUpdraft, Fran Wilde has written a compelling debut, and I for one look forward to seeing what she does next.” ~ Locus, May 2015
STARRED REVIEW, Publisher’s Weekly: “Extraordinary worldbuilding and cascading levels of intrigue make Wilde’s debut fantasy novel soar.” ~ June 2015
STARRED REVIEW, Library Journal, “The world of the towers grown from bone, where residents strap on wings and soar the air currents, is captivating. As a coming-of-age story, Kirit’s journey to find her place is satisfying, but the real draw is a world that readers will be anxious to revisit in future volumes of this exciting new series” ~ July 2015
Fran Wilde’s Updraft is a Soaring Debut “Updraft is Fran Wilde’s debut novel, and an absolute delight to read, a coming of age story set in a truly original world, blending romance, conspiracy, awesome training montages, and some good-old-fashioned adventure to create a book that’s impossible to put down. She’s also planted herself firmly in the “authors to watch” category. ~ Barnes & Noble 2015
Visit back here for news and behind-the-scenes introductions to the world of Updraft as launch approaches.
People are talking about Updraft:
- Genrify’s Favorite Reads of 2015! “”Wow, this world. Another book I would hand to adults and teens w. equal glee, the biggest appeal for me was the worldbuilding where people live in towers grown of bone and fly on man-made glider wings. There’s family drama, teen angst, and lovely writing in this debut.”
- Favorite Novels, Anthologies, and Collections of 2015 – A.C. Wise of SFSignal’s Women to Read Column: “There are breathtaking descriptions of flight, and the bone cities, towers, and bridges Wilde describe make this one of the most unique secondary world fantasies I’ve seen in a long time.”
- Avid Reader Special: Top 5 Reads of 2015 by Paul Weimer “The new weird setting, the strength of Kirit’s personal story and the well oiled plot made this novel soar for me.”
- Tor.Com Reviewers’ Choice 2015 “a triumph of worldbuilding set in a city of bone towers whose citizens fly, on handmade glider wings, above the clouds and the ill-understood dangers of whatever exists hundreds of feet below them.”
- Top 10 Debuts/New Reads – Tenacious Reader “The world in Updraft was just a joy to read. It was exciting and took us soaring through the world where people live in towers in the sky and travel by flight.”
- Barnes & Noble Review: Fran Wilde’s Updraft is a Soaring Fantasy Debut Updraft is Fran Wilde’s debut novel, and an absolute delight to read, a coming of age story set in a truly original world, blending romance, conspiracy, awesome training montages, and some good-old-fashioned adventure to create a book that’s impossible to put down. She’s also planted herself firmly in the “authors to watch” category.
- Book Review: Fran Wilde Soars with Updraft: Few fantasy novels can truly say they have the ability to capture a broad audience with a little something for everyone, but author Fran Wilde, with her starkly breathtaking novel, Updraft, can make that claim.
- Lightspeed: “I have read nothing more terrifying this year than the description of skymouths in the first chapter of Fran Wilde’s Updraft.”
- 8 Fantastical Airborne Societies: “One of the most imaginative and entertaining books released this year” B&N Blog
- 6 of the Weirdest Fantasy Worlds Ever Created: “Wilde’s debut novel offers one of the most unique, mysterious, yet sturdily-constructed settings we’ve seen recently.” B&N Blog
- Barnes & Noble’s Booksellers’ Picks for September 2015 “The setting of Wilde’s marvelous fantasy debut—a city of living bone, in which the residents of isolated, skeletal towers struggle to survive under the strict rule and laws of the Singers and the constant threat of attack by the skymouths, creatures of tentacles and teeth that haunt the clouds—is just the backdrop for a compelling coming-of-age story with a dark political undercurrent.”
- 5 Fantastic Fantasy Debuts coming in September
- BookRiot: UPDRAFT by Fran Wilde and Five Novels of Flight and Fantasy “with its imaginative cities that are actually alive and characters that take to the sky on hang-glider-esque wings, Fran Wilde’s debut, Updraft, is one of the most fun, imaginative fantasy novels I’ve picked up in a while” (August 16, 2015)
- Library Journal: A Genre Takes Flight “In Updraft (Tor, Sept.), debut author Fran Wilde creates a fascinating world of floating cities made of living bone where the residents strap on wings and soar on the air currents.” (August 6, 2015)
- Updraft Soars on Wings of Silk and Bone “Excelling on its complex characters, a richly imagined fantasy world, and a penchant for subverting tropes,Updraft is a strong debut from an author with a lot of wind under her wings. Like her protagonist, Wilde never lets off the gas, and, from the very first page to the last, Updraft remains an addictive, mile-a-minute adventure.” ~ Aidan Moher, A Dribble of Ink
- Huffington Post: Debut Epic Fantasies to Look Out For in 2015! “Towers of bone, a draconian code of laws, sinister Singers, and mechanical wings are elements of a world that feels foreign and fascinating in Updraft…”
- Excitement for 2015 Fantasy Novels “Wings. A growing city of bone, with towers and spires. Sky monsters. Did I mention the wings? Fran has such an immersive world, and I absolutely loved the protagonist — resourceful, realistically mature, indomitable. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.”
- Kirkus: The Booksmugglers’ Most Coveted Speculative Fiction Titles at BEA: “A city of living bone. In the clouds. Where people use wings (mechanical?) to get around. A mystery. We love all of these things and cannot wait for Fran Wilde’s Tor debut novel.”
- A Dribble of Ink: Catching Fran Wilde on the Updraft “… my anticipation for the novel is higher than ever.”
- Skiffy & Fanty Most Anticipated Things for 2015 Updraft: short and longlisted by four of the Skiffy & Fanty Panelists. Supercool.
- SFSignal: The Cover Art For Fran Wilde’s Debut is Simply Awesome “I like how the cover evokes both the “city of living bone” and high-flying adventure at the same time it entices readers with imaginative world building. Bring it on!”
- iO9: Mind-Blowing Science Fiction and Fantasy to Watch Out For in 2015 Here are 60 essential science fiction and fantasy books coming out this year!
- Kirkus: 100 Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Books To Look Forward to in 2015 “Author Fran Wilde, who made a name for herself in short fiction, debuts her first novel, Updraft“…
- SFSignal: Books You Have to Read in 2015 and Why (at about the 54-minute mark, in between Daniel Abraham and Neil Gaiman) “New Weird meets epic fantasy meets class struggles in a city of living bone in the sky.” “That sounds awesome!”
- Women In SFF Month: “… there’s something here to appeal to everyone. The worldbuilding the author engages in here is incredible – detailed, rich, and deep. There’s intrigue and danger, and stakes high enough to shake the entire foundation of the world the characters are living in. Updraft is another highly-visual world, just begging to be made into a movie.”
- SFSignal: Everything You Wanted to Know About Book Publicity Publicists and Marketing pros from Apex, Orbit and Tor join Andrew Liptak to talk marketing and upcoming books.
- AC Wise: Coming Attractions “I can’t tell you how excited I am for this thing. A city of bone, a girl with wings, and monsters in the clouds. Having gotten a sneak preview, I can tell you this book is amazing, and I want everyone else to know how amazing it is so we can all squee about it together.”
- GeekMom: Upcoming Reading for 2015 “A high-flying fantasy tale of towers of living bone and dark secrets, loaded with engineering, mystery, and monsters. Science-backed fantasy, fast-paced adventure, a multi-generational cast, and a deeply layered world.”